If I can do it So can You

If I can do it So can You
Thanks for dropping by. This blog describes my journey in transforming myself from a 120kg obese and overweight person suffering from a sedentary lifestyle to a fighting fit (hopefully) triathlete. This journey is a tough one and there has been many setbacks as well as the occasional win. I'm writing to inspire others to do the same. IF I CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU...

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Daily Log 26 March 2011 - Swim and bike

Reza Ali ReActivated
I'm pushing on with my swimming drills today and I'm determined to get over some of the issues I've been having with swimming (see here for a post on my current swimming issues).  I've been swimming every night for the last 4 days now focussing on drills and techniques that I found on the internet and I think it seems to be paying off.

Not surprising for a saturday evening, the pool was packed this evening with parents and kids so I struggled to find a quiet spot for me to do my drills.


SWIM

When I did find an opening I started with my usual stuff:

Superman glide 2x50m

Lazy arm 2x50m (this is a new one which is basically not letting my fingers leave the water during the recovery)
One arm front 4x50m (this is a new one which involves just using one arm whilst the other arm is fully extended in front)
4x50m freestyle

The one armed stroke was particularly tough for me as I currently breath on 1 side only, on my right. So when I am swimming with my left arm, I had to take the occasional right hand stroke to breath. I decided  to start learning to breath on both sides. I was a bit clumsy on the left side and I must have swallowed more water than in inhaling air. I got better at it as I practiced the breathing on my left side. I'm sure with more practice I'll get the hang of it.

I finished with a slow 4x50m normal swim just to check on the improvements. Though I still need feedback from my swim coach I think my stroke is getting better. I am definitely not getting as tired as I used to with the swimming.

The Polar data are as follows:

Time 69 minutes
Average heart rate 56% MHR
Calories 538 kcal


BIKE


I wrote earlier today about my bike setup. After my swim I decided to continue with a session on the bike trainer. I wanted to spend some time to get a feel for the new setup. Well, maybe not so new as the only think I changed was the saddle height.

I started slowly using the programme I created on the Polar RS 800:

Phase 1 Warm up 15 minutes
Phase 2 Moderate 10 minutes
Phase 3 Warm down 15 minutes

I focussed a lot on shifting my body weight from pedal to pedal making sure I pay attention to the 1 to 3 o'clock position. I feel a bit more relaxed on the bike now that I've shortened the saddle height. I also pushed the saddle as fas to the front as I can. I can feel the pedals being smoother than before and I also noticed that it doesn't take as much effort now then when I started. Like my running I am not concerned about my pace at the moment. This year is not about pace. it's about endurance and technique.

These are the Polar RS 800 data:

Time 40 minutes
Average Heart Rate 65% MHR
Calories 418 kcal
Average cadence 68 (note average cadence was 73 for Phase 2)
Total distance 12.52 km

Brilliant book  
I found it extremely tough to push my heart rate to reach 80% MHR. I would have needed to pedal at a much higher cadence if I wanted to push my heart rate that high. I read in the book ‘Precision Heart Rate Training’ that different intensity applies to cycling when compared to running. To find out what my intensity levels are I need to do a lactate threshold test. I'll write about it more when I get to actually do the test.

Tomorrow, I am hoping to venture out into the world with my bike. I've been training indoors since I got my bike and the only time I bike outdoors is on my Dahon folding bike.

It's up at 6 and riding for an hour on the roads. Wish me luck. To all drivers, please drive safely....





About Reza Ali



Reza Ali Reactivated tells of the journey of Reza Ali as he embarks on transforming himself from a 120kg (35kg overweight) 46 inch waist unhealthy and unfit person to someone who can compete in a triathlon. Don't be afraid to dream. Take action. Correct your mistakes. Learn from failures. Bit by bit, you will get closer to your dream.

If I Can Do It, So Can You.....



Come and support Reza by joining the Reza Ali Reactivated Fan Page on Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...