![]() |
| My second race ever |
My warm up lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of a slow run to bring my heart rate from 50%+ MHR to 70% MHR. I have just discovered the importance of warming up and I wanted to make sure I follow all the best practices.
![]() |
| Warming up |
![]() |
| And we're off.... |
I got through the hill in one piece though at 1 point I had to walk for about 30 secs as my heart rate was in the 90s. It got flat for about 1 km until I hit the second hill. Same strategy. Small steps and just focussed on the breathing. I have to admit I wasn't a happy camper at this point. My pace was so slow. The GPS on my Polar FT60 was registering a pace of about 3 km an hour. By the time I got through the second hill I knew we had hit the halfway point as I saw the water station. I didn't need a drink so I just ran pass it. At this point I decided to up the pace a bit and allowed by heart rate to go up to above 80%. I felt more comfortable now and my pace had picked up quite a bit. I knew there was only 1 more hill left which is about 1.5 km away. Then I decided that it was time to let go and let it rip. I started picking up my pace and my heart rate jumped to 85% MHR and I maintained this pace until the last hill.
Wow. At this point I was overtaking a lot of people and in my usual manner just kept smiling all the way. I really felt energised and alive at this point and I was exhilarating. By the time I got to the last hill I was really pumped up. I slowed down and started to take smaller steps. Walked for about 20m till I got to the top of the last hill and I knew I had about 1 km to go so no more playing safe and I just ran it.
![]() |
| The final km. Checking my watch which says 50 minutes with 1 km to go |
I convinced myself that I can't do anything about it then. I was a bit sad and depressed that I wasn't even going to get a bronze medal based on my set of targets for the race. I did managed to pick up my pace considerably. My Polar GPS was telling me that I ran the last 2 km at a 10km per hour pace which is not bad for me.
![]() |
| Running in a race is the only time that all other traffic would stop for you |
![]() |
| Why has everyone stopped running?? 50m to go |
Final time- 57 minutes.
Medals were only given to the top 60 runners in each category so no medal for me this time.
I couldn't feel a bit sad. But I kept saying to myself. You're getting faster and fitter. But the thought really kept nagging at me.
57 minutes for 5km? This cannot be. I finally got the answer. I checked my Polar GPS as well as my iPhone iMapMyRun data. Both my Polar and iPhone indicated that the run was not 5km and was actually 6.1 km. I don't know how that happened and whether I was the one that got it wrong from the beginning. I don't want to raise any fuss but I have to be honest, I felt happy when I found out. If I ran 6km in 57 minutes then I would have ran the 5km in about 47 minutes which is OK for me.
I learnt a lot today. I have to really work on my focus and concentration at the beginning of the race. I don't want an explosive start and would rather be the last one out so that I can run my own race and not get caught up. I know that I am a slow starter and will finish stronger than when I started. Whether that's a sound strategy is something I have to think about. I also need to get used to hill running and will do so soon.
![]() |
| Which one is the clown?? |
For tonight, I just want to rest. Reflect on today and last weeks event. Just soak up the moment. I'm still 20kg overweight and considering that, I am not doing that badly.
If I can do it, So can you....
About Reza Ali
Reza Ali Reactivated tells of the journey of Reza Ali as he embarks on transforming himself from a 120kg (35kg overweight) 46 inch waist unhealthy and unfit person to someone who can compete in a triathlon. Don't be afraid to dream. Take action. Correct your mistakes. Learn from failures. Bit by bit, you will get closer to your dream.
If I Can Do It, So Can You.....
Come and support Reza by joining the Reza Ali Reactivated Fan Page on Facebook








0 comments:
Post a Comment