I finally got my butt on the bike today after about a week of not cycling. I now have to make sure that I don't leave my cycling behind. If I do, I know I have to pay for that omission sometime during a triathlon event.
Today my cycling was part of a brick cycle/run workout. The last time I did a brick workout was in Feb so today's workout is meant to signal me making the bicycle a serious affair. I also wanted to make sure that I match as closely a triathlon Transition situation.
BIKE
I have to admit, the bike is giving me serious issues here. I mounted my bike on the trainer wanting to ride for 20km. I had setup a workout on my POLAR RS800 which basically consisted of a 40 minute workout. My theory is that if I am able to cycle at 30km per hour then I should finish the bike in about 40+ minutes (45 to be exact). But I know now that that is kinda wishful thinking on my part. No matter how hard I pedaled I found it difficult to keep a fast pace. My legs were burning. I think I had gotten the bike setup correct based on the POSE cycling video I mentioned in an earlier posting so now it's my muscles that needs to be trained. My POLAR data for this workout:
Average Heart Rate 66% MHR
Calories 437 kcal
Average pace 2.58 min per km
Average Cadence 72
Distance covered 12.31km
Time 40 min 23 secs
I know I need to work on my cadence and bring it up to above 90. That's going to be my target for the next few weeks.
TRANSITION
When I finished with the bike, I got off and started to make my way out to run. I was wearing my Nike Free for the bike ride (I had stopped using clips to make sure I get my POSE cycling technique right) so it was literally a matter of getting off and getting out to run. My legs really feel like jelly and I was stumbling all over the place. It was as if I had completely lost my sense of balance and my legs refused to follow my instructions.
I did a slow jog to my home park where I run to make sure I get my fotting back. Gradually my sense of balance came back and I was able to walk straight.
When I got to my designated starting line and started running.
What an unusual experience and definitely something I have to continue to practice.
RUN
My POLAR data for this run are as follows:
Time 47 minutes 15 secs (5km time is about 42 mins)
Average cadence 77
Average stride length 58 cm
Average Heart Rate 81% MHR
Running distance 4.2 km
Calories burnt 740 kcal
I had actually ran for more than 5km this time round eventhough my POLAR stride sensor registered 4.2 km and I am also convinced that my stride length is also longer. I had written earlier that my POLAR stride sensor needs to be calibrated so this is becoming a big deal for me. I must calibrate it soon.
I notice these days that I only get my 'dream' rhythm of running after about 2 km of running. Before I get into the zone, my running technique would be all over the place. When I get in the zone, I can feel my strides becomes more graceful and the effort becomes less of an effort. My optimal running seems to take place at a cadence of about 79-80 and at an effort between 79-82% MHR. Anything below that seems awfully slow. Anything above that becomes a bit tougher.
So today, I enjoyed the last 3 km more than the first. Maybe it's because I had just came out of cycling so my legs needs to readjust to the running.
Another thing I noticed from tonight's brick workout is that I get thirsty all the time. It's almost as if my body is constantly yearning for water and I know I'm definitely drinking more water these days. When I finished the workouts my shirt would be soaking wet.
So there you go. Time to go to sleep now (or at least try to go to sleep).
About Reza Ali
Reza Ali Reactivated tells of the journey of Reza Ali as he embarks on transforming himself from a 120kg (35kg overweight) 46 inch waist unhealthy and unfit person to someone who can compete in a triathlon. Don't be afraid to dream. Take action. Correct your mistakes. Learn from failures. Bit by bit, you will get closer to your dream.
If I Can Do It, So Can You.....
Come and support Reza by joining the Reza Ali Reactivated Fan Page on Facebook


2 comments:
from the 3 running photos, u seems to be putting weight.
Hi. Thanks for dropping by kbguy. Funny I never noticed that but you're right. Actually, I'm wearing tighter tops in each photo so it seems like I've been putting on weight.
Post a Comment